The Center, owned by Oakland Unified School District, serves as a hub for a district-wide food program network that connects nutrition, education, and community programs at district schools. The new 45,000 sq. ft. building includes a central kitchen, administrative offices, education center, and a 1-acre instructional urban farm. BKF provided civil engineering design services for the project, including demolition, erosion control, grading/drainage and utility design. BKF also designed stormwater treatment systems to meet state and county C.3 requirements and assisted in the permitting process with both the City of Oakland and EBMUD.
- 40,000 sq. ft. Central kitchen
- 5,000 sq. ft. Education center
- 1-acre instructional urban farm
- Project Delivery: Lease-Leaseback
- 2021 ENR California Best K-12 Education Project – Northern California
- 2021 ENR California Best Projects Award of Merit – Sustainability