The McLaren Bike Park in John McLaren Park is the first Bicycle Motocross (BMX) and Mountain Biking Park in San Francisco. One of the main goals of the park is to provide a community gathering place for youth and young adults where they can stay active, socialize in a positive setting, and enjoy an active and exciting respite from the urban environment in a protected space. Designed by Alpine Bike Parks and opened in Fall 2017, McLaren Bike Park is currently a half-acre bike park in San Francisco serving the Excelsior, Crocker-Amazon, Portola, Visitacion Valley, and Sunnydale neighborhoods as well as the Bay Area and beyond. BKF provided civil engineering and surveying services, and coordinated with Alpine Bike Parks to ensure an integrated layout and enjoyable experience for riders.
- Designed to accommodate riders of all skill-levels
- Incorporated beginner bike skills trail
- Available youth BMX and mountain biking pump park
- Addressed steep grading and implemented appropriate drainage solutions
- Accommodated maintenance concerns and project longevity into the design
- Required coordination with City Agencies including Recs & Park, MTA, DPW, Hydraulics, Accessibility, and Planning